‘The catering industry has yet to recover from the pandemic crisis’: Kuwait

Head of the Kuwait Federation of Restaurants, Cafes and Food Services Fahd Al-Arbash said the restaurant and cafe sector is still suffering the consequences of the corona virus pandemic, despite the passage of more than two years since the outbreak. of this pandemic , reports the daily Al-Anba. In a statement, he added that the suffering of the catering sector in Kuwait is expected to continue for about 5 years unless the state moves on more than one level to support the local economy on the one hand, and paving the way for the movement of tourism and employment on the other hand, especially as a large part of the owners of restaurants and cafes have become crippled by large financial loans due to the rents accumulated during the period of closure of commercial activities and economic, in addition to employee salaries and other rights.

Al-Arbash pointed out that despite the return to normal life in the country, the activity of the catering sector has not returned to its previous era, as evidenced by the fact that the movement of restaurants during the National Day and Liberation Day did not do business as usual, as a large part of citizens and residents preferred to travel abroad.

Dependent
Al-Arbash added that a large percentage of restaurants have become dependent on “order delivery” in their work. It was clear that the demand for orders has diminished over the past holiday as many people traveled overseas or spent time in cabins. He said that the restaurants that have benefited from citizen participation are the restaurants located in large shopping complexes, but these restaurants constitute only 20% of the total restaurants operating in Kuwait, and thus the rest of the restaurants, which constitute 80 % of all restaurants, experienced a significant drop in revenue.

At the same time, Al-Arbash drew attention to the significant increase in the prices of many foodstuffs, noting that this increase greatly affected the profits of restaurants and cafes which remained attached to their price list, which leads to question the ability of these latter restaurants to continue and withstand high food prices. The stability of restaurant prices and the lack of state support for young managers of these restaurants have largely undermined their dreams

© 2022 Arab Times Kuwait English Daily. All rights reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

Comments are closed.