Two Minneapolis restaurants receive national grant for ‘small historic restaurants’
Two Minneapolis restaurants have received grants aimed at supporting longtime restaurants that operate in historic buildings.
According to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Rainbow Chinese Restaurant and Black Forest Inn will both receive $40,000 to pay for building improvements, maintenance or general operating costs.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation founded the program last year in partnership with American Express to help small independent restaurants recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible restaurants must have been in business for at least 25 years to be considered.
The Black Forest Inn says the money will be used for exterior upgrades, which will start to take shape this summer.
Chinese restaurant Rainbow said the funds will also be used for building improvements.
“This grant will allow us to make some updates so that we can continue to be an Eat Street icon for years to come,” Rainbow announced on Facebook.
The 2022 Backing Historic Small Restaurants Grant recipients are:
- Antoine’s Restaurant – New Orleans, Louisiana.
- B&H Dairy Kosher Vegetarian Restaurant — New York, New York.
- Black Forest Inn — Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- China King’s Restaurant—Leesburg, Virginia.
- El Adobe Mexican Grill – Atoka, Oklahoma.
- The Glen Rock Mill Inn – Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.
- Golden Burro Coffee – Leadville, Colorado.
- The Harmony Inn – Harmony, Pennsylvania.
- Hi-Way Cafe—Vinita, Oklahoma.
- The Historic Magnolia House – Greensboro, NC.
- The Irish Rover – Louisville, Kentucky.
- Khalil’s Middle Eastern Restaurant — Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- La Segunda Bakery — Tampa, Florida.
- Max’s Taphouse—Baltimore, Maryland.
- Miller’s Soul Food – Dublin, GA.
- Mr. Henry’s – Washington, DC.
- Nancy’s Silver Cafe – Silver City, New Mexico.
- Penn Brewery and Restaurant — Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Rainbow Chinese Restaurant – Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Saratoga Restaurant—Terre Haute, Indiana.
- Schwabl’s Restaurant – Buffalo, NY.
- The Seaside – Hilo, Hawaii.
- Super Burgers Stamps—Jackson, Mississippi.
- Teshima Restaurant – Honalo, Hawaii.
- Welton Street Cafe—Denver, Colorado.
In 2021, the program awarded 25 restaurants more than $1 million. No restaurants in Minnesota were among last year’s recipients.